Is Pumpkin good for my dog? Absolutely! And Here are 7 reasons whyPosted November 01, 2016 by Smart Cookie Dog Treats
It’s the fall season which means pumpkin season! We are obsessed with these round orange gourds of deliciousness, and not just to carve scary faces, or eat ourselves, but pumpkins are awesome to add into your dog’s diet! This is why they are one of the main ingredients in our Muttstletoe treats… you know your dog wants some…
Here’s 7 reasons why pumpkin is good for your dog:
- Pumpkins are a great source of fiber. Yep, the stuff that keeps your dog’s stools regular and can also help reduce cholesterol. Particularly high in soluable fiber, pumpkin can keep your pup fuller longer and not spike blood sugar.
- Pumpkins can contribute to healthy vision. Just like carrots, pumpkins are full of beta-carotene which converts into Vitamin A which aid in vision health, particularly in low light. Thought your dog had great night vision? Try adding a little more pumpkin to his diet.
- Does your dog have an upset stomach? Add some canned pumpkin to his food. It should not only sooth his tummy but is also be a new delicious food topping.
- Pumpkins are loaded with antioxidants. You know those free-radical ninjas we love to fight off with our Survivor treats? Well, pumpkins are also great at doing this too. Free radicals are basically stealing healthy cells electrons which can lead to cell death, but antioxidants can come to the rescue and essentially “donate” one of their electrons to stop this destructive process. Pretty nerdy and cool, huh?
- Pumpkin contains lots of awesome potassium, think of them as like a cousin to the banana. Both are fantastic snacks post-fetch or tail-chase. If your dog is active, or goes on a run or a hike, give them some pumpkin (or a couple of Muttstletoe treats) to help restore their lost electrolytes and this can even help keep the muscles from feeling fatigued.
- Pumpkins can help boost the immune system with Vitamin C. Help your dog feel his or her best and give ‘em a little boost with yummy pumpkin.
- Pumpkin SEEDS are a fantastic snack that both you and your pup can share (unsalted is best). Magnesium, zinc, omega-3s for their skin and coat are just a few of the amazing benefits of pumpkin seeds.
Side note: make sure that if you use canned pumpkin, there is only one ingredient listed: pumpkin.